I feel guilty eating chips in bed. So when I came across this brunch salad with tortilla chips, I jumped out of bed. Brunch salad you ask? That’s what Jamie Oliver calls this salad. Why else would I be eating chips in bed.
Anyways back to the salad, when I made this for the first time, I was really apprehensive of the flavors and how things would come together. After tasting it I fell in love with the crunch of the tortilla chips, the salt of the bacon, and the sweet of the corn.
Corn Tortilla Bacon Salad – serves 4
adopted from Jamie Magazine
2 sweet corn cobs
2 ripe avocadoes
4 strips of bacon
2 baby lettuce
100g of spinach
30g of tortilla chips
2 tbsp of olive oil
2 tbsp plain yogurt
2 flat-leaf parsley sprigs, leaves picked
juice of 1/2 lemon
2 tbsp of virgin olive oil
salt to taste
pepper to taste
1. Place a pan or a griddle with a lid, over medium – high heat and pour olive oil into it.
2. Place corn cobs onto the pan and cover it with the lid. The corn will blacken at the point of contact so turn it around every minute or so until it’s cooked all the way around.
3. Cut the avocado in half and pit it.
4. A few minutes before the corn is ready, place the avocado skin side up onto the pan. In a couple of minutes the avocado will char.
5. Remove the avocado and the corn from the griddle.
6. Add the bacon to the pan and cook it until it’s crisp.
7. Run a knife down the sides of the corn to slice off the kernels.
8. Rip the bacon into small pieces.
9. Mix all the dressing ingredients together.
10. Toss all the salad ingredients together in a bowl and drizzle with salad dressing.
My verdict: If you grill the bacon, avocado, and corn the night before, this is a quick recipe for work mornings.