Sometimes being low on patience while cooking is a good thing; it results in a no fuss recipe. I came up with this marinate recipe while trying to think up of food to pack for Arvind to take to St John’s. A week later when he actually roasted the marinated chicken, he called to me to let me know that the chicken was yummy. Ironically that day was Valentine’s Day and Arvind is a good flirt!
Mint Coriander Roasted Chicken – serves 3
10 chicken drumsticks
3 tbsp of oil
25 sprigs of fresh coriander
5 sprigs of fresh mint, leaves picked
4 – 5 cloves of garlic
2 inch piece of fresh ginger
3 – 4 green chilies
6 tbsp yogurt
3 tbsp chickpea flour (besan)
2 tsp coriander powder
1½ tsp garam masala
½ tsp cardamom powder
½ tsp turmeric powder
2 tsp salt
1. Put all of the marinate ingredients into a blender and blend until you have a fine paste.
2. I like to skin the chicken drumsticks but you don’t have to. Cut slits into the chicken drumstick. Mix the marinate into the drumsticks and let it rest for at least 30 minutes.
3. Pre-heat the oven to 400ºF on broil.
4. Grease a baking tray with 1 tbsp of oil. Then place the marinated chicken onto the baking try and drizzle another tbsp of the oil onto the chicken.
5. Place the chicken into the oven. After 15 – 20 minutes, flip the chicken drumsticks and drizzle rest the oil onto the chicken. Remove from the oven after 15 – 20 minutes. Garnish with fresh lemon slices. Serve with rice and a side of yogurt.